An exercise in found juxtaposition – ten consecutive results of Wikiquote’s random quote feature.
On each page, I will select the quote that corresponds to which iteration I am on – ie the first on the first go, the second on the second go, the third on the third go, etc. If there aren’t enough quotes to pursue this I will use the final quote on the page:
1. Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
3. To build matter itself from geometry — that in a sense is what string theory does. It can be thought of that way, especially in a theory like the heterotic string which is inherently a theory of gravity in which the particles of matter as well as the other forces of nature emerge in the same way that gravity emerges from geometry. Einstein would have been pleased with this, at least with the goal, if not the realization. … He would have liked the fact that there is an underlying geometrical principle — which, unfortunately, we don’t really yet understand.
4. Solomon Asch’s studies of independence and conformity are among the most significant in the history of psychology. They are models of rigorous analysis of a socially relevant question based on a well-controlled research design.
9. Crazy Shapiro: When I’m up on the roof, it’s like nothing can touch me. You know, it’s all so quiet and beautiful, with the whole city right out in front of my eyes. Some nights I just feel like painting a picture.
Vinnie: Hey, Norman Rockwell – paint me a picture.
Crazy Shapiro: I didn’t say I painted. I said I “felt like” like it.
Vinnie: Hey, there are over twenty million faggots in New York that “feel like it” — you wanna make it twenty million and one?
10. My dear Arjuna, how have these impurities come upon you? They are not at all befitting a man who knows the progressive values of life. They do not lead to higher planets, but to infamy. O son of Prtha, do not yield to this degrading impotence. It does not become you. Give up such petty weakness of heart and arise, O chastiser of the enemy.